Upcoming news you can use

Here’s a look at news that affects veterans around Kauai.

Town hall meeting

VA Honolulu will host a town hall meeting from 1 to 3 p.m. Jan. 7 at the Kauai Veterans Center on Kapule Highway. The discussion will include a variety of VA programs and initiatives, including health care enrollment, benefits application, employment programs and more. Questions? Contact the Honolulu VA Public Affairs Office in Honolulu at (808) 433-0049.

What is VA accreditation?

VA accreditation is a form of written identification bestowed by the Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs on those individuals who possess the aptitude and specialized experience and training to assist veterans and their surviving spouses in the preparation, submission and prosecution of VA claims.

Only representatives of certain designated veteran’s services organizations, as well as attorneys, who have completed an intense training program and have been thoroughly vetted by VA may be approved for “accreditation.”

Title 38 US Code 5901 and 5904 states: “No person may help a veteran with an initial claim for benefits unless that person is accredited through VA. Additionally, no fee may be charged for any services provided that is related to the filing of an initial claim. (Reference: Title 38 US Code Section 5901 – 5905) (Source: www.uscode.regstoday.com/38USC_CHAPTER59.aspx)

U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships in Vietnam

VA has updated the list of ships that operated in Vietnam to add new ships, expand dates for ships already on the list, and add a new category of small vessels that operated on Vietnam’s inland waterways. The list can help Vietnam War-era veterans find out if they qualify for presumption of Agent Orange exposure when seeking disability compensation for related diseases.

For more information and to view the complete list, visit www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/shiplist/index.asp

Dental insurance

Veterans and CHAMPVA dependents are eligible for enrollment in the new VA dental program. Questions? Visit www.va.gov/healthbenefits or call 241-3348.

3 ways to request duplicate 1099R:

1. myPay: Visit website at https://mypay.dfas.mil. Password required.

2. Automated phone system: Call 1-800-321-1080 Tuesday to Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST and select option 1 for Military Retired and Annuitant Pay.

3. Written request: Include your name, Social Security number, mailing address, signature and date. Fax your request to 1-800-469-6559 or mail to:


Defense Finance and Accounting Service, U.S. Military Retirement Pay, P.O. Box 7130, London, KY 40742-7130.


Defense Finance and Accounting Service, U.S. Military Annuitant Pay, P.O. Box 7131, London, KY 40742-7131

Veterans identification

Veterans are now given the option of having the word “Veteran” annotated on newly issued or replacement motor vehicle operator’s permits. The purpose of this special distinction is to permit veterans to readily show proof of eligibility for veterans discounts offered by various businesses and restaurants.


Tony Elliott, of the Kauai Office of Veterans’ Services office, can be reached at 241-3348.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.