Thursday, Sept. 21, 2023 |
Share this story
NAWILIWILI — Glenn Hong, president of Young Brothers, said if it wasn’t for volunteers, the community would not be what it is.
Hong was on the island to distribute $20,000 to 13 nonprofits during its annual sharing last week.
“A lot of the nonprofits operate with volunteers,” Hong said. “Through the Community Advisory Board grants, Young Brothers tries to support these efforts as best as we can.”
Organizations received grants for the following uses:
• Kauai Planning and Action Alliance, for audio-visual equipment.
• East Kauai Drug Coalition, to develop a community of youth and adults who are critical thinkers and problem solvers through the Design Thinking Project.
• Kauai Museum, to involve students in creating the museum’s brochures.
• Easter Seals, Kauai program, to provide support for parents who have had children go through intervention.
• Boys & Girls Club, update computer programs.
• Kauai Historical Society, for its cultural celebrations marking the centennial anniversary of the organization.
• Kauai Sanshin Club, to teach the Okinawa culture through its music with the sanshin, an instrument similar to the Japanese shamisen.
• Hui O Puuwai, to create tents to help shelter its outrigger canoes stored on the banks of Wailua River.
• KauaiBots, to help with the entry fee into the state competition, parts for the robot, and a guidance system chip.
• Big Brothers, Big Sisters Hawaii, Kauai Branch, general areas.
• Dennis Fujimoto, staff writer and photographer, can be reached at 245-0453 or dfujimoto@ thegardenisland.com.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
By participating in online discussions you
acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful
discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments
are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines,
send us an email.