Da Shadow’s Corner: Lydgate Park

Editor’s note: Old-timers might still remember the introduction from The Shadow radio program: “Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!” Jerome Freitas, a retired state Department of Transportation worker who is now better known as Da Shadow, since 2004 has been meeting with government representatives about problems he has discovered or that have been reported to him, and reporting the county’s responses.

Lydgate Park

Da Shadow: Is there a plan to renovate the small pavilion and make it ADA accessible?

County: Parks is moving to transition all parks to be ADA compliant. Currently, Parks is addressing ADA conversion at other park facilities and will address this matter at this facility in future construction. Parks does not have a timeline for this park.

Lydgate Park

Da Shadow: What’s the update on Lydgate Ponds? Is the water quality improving? What is the plan to continue to restore the ponds?

County: The restoration of the ponds is complete. The water quality has improved but due to weather episodes the pond occasionally experiences setbacks. The volunteers continue to help with the water quality improvement for which Parks is very grateful.


Da Shadow: If an employee admits to having a drug problem, will the County refer him/her to services? Under what conditions would drug problems cause the County to terminate an employee?

County: Each of our union collective bargaining agreements contains a procedure for dealing with and addressing alcohol and substance abuse issues in the workplace. A violation of the alcohol or substance abuse provision of the CBA could result in the termination of an employee.


County Attorney

Da Shadow: If an employee feels he/she is being harassed, what should they do? If they go to their supervisor and nothing is done and the employee continues to be harassed, what should they do then?

County: The County’s policy on discrimination and harassment address such issues. The policy has not one but two alternatives for an employee to file complaints. The short answer is that the aggrieved employee would go to the supervisor’s supervisor or the division head.

• Jerome Freitas, can be reached at theshadow96751@gmail.com or 635-3528. Visit his website at http://theshadow96746.tripod.com.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.