Man receives 60 days jail for drugs at traffic stop

LIHU‘E — A Kilauea man received 60 days in jail and probation in two cases involving prescription drugs and marijuana.

Philip Grenz, 59, was sentenced Thursday in 5th Circuit Court on two charges of fourth-degree promotion of a dangerous drug and drug paraphernalia. He received one-year probation for the misdemeanor charges, along with a 60-day jail sentence.

Chief Judge Randal Valenciano said that he would sentence according to the terms of the global plea deal, but said that given his criminal record that Grenz should consider this a lenient sentence.

There were no felony convictions, which Valenciano said worked in his favor. However, he said there were misdemeanor convictions and several encounters with police.

The case that originated in 2010 and Grenz changed his plea to no contest to reduced charges on June 12. A criminal contempt of court charge is set to be dismissed with the terms of plea bargain.

Grenz had been charged with B-felony drug possession, but State Deputy Public Defender John Calma explained in court that he was able to produce a prescription for the narcotic that the police also found marijuana during the same traffic stop.

County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Timothy Tobin said the state recommended the maximum 90-day jail sentence according to the plea bargain. He said the criminal history on island and the Mainland was the main reason and also recommended an addiction assessment and other programs as directed by probation.

• Tom LaVenture, staff writer, can be reached at 245-3681 (ext. 224) or


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.