LIHU‘E — A state health official says a Kaua‘i boy is being treated for contracting flesh-eating bacteria.
The Hawai‘i Department of Health had said three cases of what’s called necrotizing fasciitis were reported. But now Epidemiological Specialist Joe Elm says there are two confirmed cases and officials are monitoring a possible third case.
Elm told The Garden Island one case was found to be just fasciitis, which results in inflammation and swelling but not tissue death.
The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reports the boy was first diagnosed at a Kaua‘i hospital with septic arthritis in his elbow. He has since been flown to Honolulu for treatment.
The other unrelated case involves 49-year-old John Stem of Lihu‘e, who underwent several surgeries on Kaua‘i before being transferred to Honolulu.