Yummy Yam Muffns
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon each lemon juice and water
1 cup finely shredded yams, very lightly packed
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Pam 24 mini muffin pans or 12 regular muffin tins, or use muffin liner.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and ginger in medium bowl.
3. With mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs; beat until light and fluffy. Stir in lemon juice, water and shredded yams; stir until well blended.
4. Stir flour mixture into yam mixture just enough to moisten all dry ingredients.
5. Fill prepared pans 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes for regular muffin tins; 15 minutes for mini. Cool in pans.
Makes 12 regular or 24 minis.
Lenore Klass of the Kaua‘i Association for Family and Community Education said this year’s special ingredient for the Homemakers Baking Contest is either yams or sweet potatoes.
She created this recipe for yummy yam cakes to demonstrate what can be done with yams during the Kaua‘i Community Market, coordinated by the Kaua‘i County Farm Bureau, Saturdays at the Kaua‘i Community College parking lot.
Visit www.kauaifarmfair.org for more information and to register for the homemakers show coordinated by the Kaua‘i FCE.