Waimea holds on for hard-fought win

Waimea 14, Kapa‘a 13 – KAPA‘A — Joseph Velasco caught a crucial pass with 10 seconds left of the game to get to the Waimea’s 3-yard line, giving the Kapa‘a Warriors a chance at tying or winning the game last night at the Kapa‘a Football Complex.

That and the plays leading up to the nail-biter of an ending was set up by a blocked punt by Roger Taniguchi-Fu and a recovery by Kevin Cremer.

Kapa‘a got as close as they could and just when they needed a big play, they got one when Brehdan Kamibayashi connected with Velasco for the touchdown — Velasco’s second of the night.

Opting out for the win, Kapa‘a head coach Keli‘i Morgado gave the go for the two-point conversion. But instead of one final play to end the game, the crowd got four. Penalties occurred delaying the outcome of the game — first, Waimea was called out for an illegal substitution, then Kapa‘a got called on a false start and Waimea got caught for encroachment.

The fourth play was finally clean. Luther Yam handed off to Caleb Sarsona but was stopped just barely before the goal line and the Menehune held on for 14-13 hard-fought win over Warriors.

The Warriors (0-3 Kaua‘i Interscholastic Federation) pulled off a much better showdown than the first game against the Menehune (2-1), but had a rough offensive start. Kapa‘a committed four turnovers in the first half alone — an interception in the Warriors first sequence and three lost fumbles. Still, they were able to hold the Menehune to 7-0. Waimea showed guts though, going for it on fourth down on multiple occasions.

Waimea’s first TD came when  Jenzen Cacal found Max Agor for a 15-yarder.

Velasco evened it up with a 79-yard touchdown and it was all tied up after three quarters.

Kapa‘a sacked Cacal at third-and-17 and on the next play, Cody Owen went for the punt, but couldn’t get a good handle on the ball. He somehow got it away, but Davin Chong, on his diving momentum, tackled Owen and was called for roughing the passer. That gave Waimea a new set of downs which led to a 13-yard TD from Moses Fierro. Owen’s extra point attempt was blocked, but encroachment on Kapa‘a reset the play and Owen made the second attempt.

Velasco finished the night with four catches and 100 yards. Waimea’s Cole Parongao had four carries, rushing for 65 yards. Kapa‘a also beat out Waimea in total offense, 256 to Waimea’s 198.

Waimea next hosts undefeated Kaua‘i High School at Hanapepe Stadium.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.