Fireworks probable cause of brushfire

HANAMA‘ULU — A small brushfire yesterday afternoon in Hanama‘ulu could have been caused by fireworks, according to witnesses at the scene and county spokewoman Mary Daubert.

A man assisting firefighters told The Garden Island that he’d heard what sounded like gunshots just before the blaze began.

Daubert said witnesses saw children running away from the scene, and that fireworks were also found in the fields, leading Kaua‘i Fire Department officials to believe that fireworks caused the fire.

The fire broke out between King Kaumuali‘i Elementary School and Kapule Highway at around 2:56 p.m. and burned approximately two acres before being deemed under control at 3:15 p.m., according to Daubert.

Thirteen firefighters and rescue specialists from the Lihu‘e and Kapa‘a stations responded to the alarm, along with a battalion chief.

The fire was contained to a grassy area, with no reported injuries and no damage sustained to nearby buildings.

Police are conducting an investigation of the incident.

Anyone with information about the fire should call Police Dispatch at 241-1711 or Crime Stoppers at 241-1887.

Crime Stoppers is a non-profit organization that offers cash rewards of up to $1,000 to anyone furnishing anonymous information that leads to an arrest.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.