Candle on grave cause of cemetery brush fire

A lit candle placed on a grave at the Hanapepe Veterans Cemetery led to a brush fire yesterday morning, according to county spokeswoman Mary Daubert.

“It appears the cause of the fire was an offering candle at one of the grave sites,” Daubert said.

The blaze, which was reported at 10:32 a.m., spread from the cemetery to a nearby field, burning one-third of an acre, she said.

Crews from Hanapepe Fire Station were on the scene two minutes later, with a crew from the Waimea station responding shortly thereafter.

The fire was deemed under control within 15 minutes, according to Daubert.

No structures were involved and no people were injured.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.