The 15th Annual CAK Home Show Presented by First Hawaiian Bank will be held on Friday, from 2:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. and Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Kaua‘i Veterans Center on Kapule Highway in Lihu‘e. The show is free and open to the public.
The Contractors Association of Kaua‘i was established in 1957 as a trade association of licensed contractors, suppliers, and businesses affiliated with the construction industry on Kaua’i.
This year’s Home Show brings suppliers, design professionals, financial services and consumers together who are planning to build, remodel or extend their homes.
In addition, there will be an unveiling of the “Build Green concept.” Exhibitors will have services, products and materials on display. The consumer seminars held as part of the show will showcase “All Things Built Green” sponsored by Pacific Concrete Cutting and Coring on Saturday.
2007 Exhibitors with
Build Green products,
services or materials
• Glover Honsador will have information on concrete products. Jas W. Glover will showcase aggregates they carry including the popular red and black cinders that can be used extensively for xeroscape type landscaping.
• RSI/Rosa’s Supply will have solar vents, waterproof siding, asphalt shingles, and tile roofing materials.
• Window Trends carries window covering that meets the standards for Build Green certification called GreenGuard, that ensures the highest industry standards are used to provide indoor air quality for health and safety. Among the GreenGuard products is the Phifer Sheer Wave 2000 fabric.
• Innovative Specialties carries Sunrise Solar Roof fans. A 20-watt fan can cool 1,000 square feet of attic space lowering sunny day temperatures by 15 degrees. Federal and State tax credits are available to consumers who install one of these fans. The company will also showcase the Astro Foil reflecting insulating material that allows only 3% radiant heat through the roof. This product is in use on the County of Kaua’i’s Civic Center buildings.
• Sun King will have the latest in solar heating systems. Tax credits are available for families who install solar heating systems.
• Honsador Lumber will display the Trex deck materials that consists of recycled plastics and some wood chips and will never need painting or staining.
• Prairie Picket makes privacy fencing from recycled plastic and wheat straw that does not need painting or staining.
• Smartside Siding is treated resin-saturated wood strand siding. It has been tested in Hilo, Hawai’i. Smartside Soffit is pre-grooved, treated and weather and termite resistant.
• Timberstrand is engineered wood, precise sized lumber for straighter walls, precise door and window openings. It is weather and termite resistant.
• Puhi Paint will have Devoe Wonder Pure, a no-odor, no voc interior paint.
• Agor Design Group, an architectural and home planning company will have design and site planning concepts for Build Green that uses the weather conditions and the trade winds for cooling.
• Kaua’i Island Utility Cooperative (KIUC) will have information on energy conservation programs and services.
• Stonegate Premium Homes will have their Nudura insulated concrete form home design systems.
• D.R. Horton, Schuler Homes Division will be showcasing their Ho’okena project in Puhi featuring five different floor plans from which to choose. The company features Build Green materials in their home construction. Schuler Home’s projects have won “Energy Value Housing” awards and “BuiltGreen” awards.
• Ferguson Enterprises will have their Rinnai tankless water heater and a wide range of water conserving toilets on display.
Other 2007 exhibitors
• Service Rentals & Supplies will feature a variety of new Hitachi and Bostitch tools for the construction trades. The exhibit will also feature the Ram Rod Taskmaster which is a mini loader used to haul materials within a work site.
• Pohaku Fabrication will display their marble and granite products for counters, tables, vanities and other accessories.
• Honsador Truss displays truss support for flooring and roof.
• Coastal windows will offer information on vinyl-framed windows and sliding doors.
• Asia Gallery is back with antique and reproduction furniture, along with accessories and artwork from China.
• Oceanic Time Warner Cable will provide hands-on opportunity to try the new island wide digital phone service and the use of the Road Runner system.
• Builders Home Supply will showcase laminate flooring, engineered hardwood and pre-finished hardwood solid flooring.
• The County of Kaua’i Building Division, Fire Department, and Housing Agency along with the Department of Water will be on hand to provide information on services they provide homeowners and consumers.
• First Hawaiian Bank will have information on their financial products and services, including safety deposit boxes, and credit card services. Kaua’i residents will also be able to win Aloha Airlines inter-island travel coupons.
2007 Consumer Seminars
Friday at 5 p.m. — Mold & Asbestos Information for the Lay Person. Presenter: Earl Shook, Jr. of ‘Ohana Environmental Construction
6 p.m. — Glover Honsador presents Feng Shui Master Clarence Lau. Presenter: Clarence Lau
7 p.m. — Navigating the County of Kaua‘i’s Building Permit Process. Presenter: Don Lutao, Building Division
Saturday — Theme for the Day: “All Things Built Green”
9:10 a.m. — Introduction to the Build Green ProgramPresenter: Dean Masai, Dept. of Business, Economic Development and Tourism (DBEDT)
9:30 a.m. — Site Planning and Design Ideas. Presenter: Caven Raco, AIA, Agor Design Group
10:30 a.m. — Energy Conservation and LEEDS. Presenters: Edwin Nakaya, KIUC and Dean Masai, DBEDT
11:30 a.m. — The Department of Water Presents Water Conservation and Landscaping with Less Water. Presenters: Faith Shiramizu, Department of Water and Jerry Nishek, Chair, East Kaua’i Soil & Water Conservation District
12:30 p.m. — Build Green Products at the CAK Home Show, A Panel Presentation