The original Waimea firehouse, once located on Ola Road makai of the present tennis courts and across the road from the Community Hall, had been built upon a path that led from the old village of Waimea by the mouth of the river to burial grounds on the hillside.
And the spirits that walked the path to visit their former homes in the village, not pleased with having their pathway blocked, haunted the firehouse, many believed.
In April 1947, firemen heard a terrific rapping on the bedroom wall of the firehouse three times one early morning. Yet, when they investigated at daylight, they observed no footprints outside the firehouse, although the ground had been soaked the previous evening while watering ti plants.
Not long after, William Carreira, one of the firemen, saw a man about seven feet tall with no head inside the firehouse and was hit hard on the back of his neck. Other firemen on duty saw and heard nothing of the ghost, but they did observe that Carreira’s normally flat, curly hair was standing straight up. This incident was reported to the police.
On another occasion, Carreira, Sam Apo and John Kelekomo were drinking coffee inside the firehouse when they heard a car turn off the main road, drive up to the firehouse and stop outside. But, when one went out to see who it might be, the car was gone.
About a week later when rapping was heard again at about 3 a. m., firemen went out to check the planted area between the firehouse and the tennis court. Although only Carreira saw a woman moving through the dark, all could feel the hair on the back of their necks stand up.
No volunteers came forth after firemen welcomed scoffers to spend a night with them in the firehouse.