Red Cross urges precaution in wake of Waimea fire

American Red Cross caseworkers met Saturday with the family whose home was destroyed in Waimea last week, in an effort to assess their emergency needs.

The house fire, located on Menehune Road across from the Waimea swinging bridge, caused $80,000-worth of damages.

Officials said the fire was started Friday by a candle on the second floor of the home. No one was harmed in the incident.

Clothing, bedding and food were among the items donated to the family by the American Red Cross.

Thirteen firefighters and rescue specialists from the Waimea, Hanapepe and Lihu‘e stations responded to the blaze.

Officials at the American Red Cross said it is important for residents to remember that having a disaster plan, including two evacuation routes, is critical in order to prevent tragedy.

To learn more, go to www.redcross.org.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.