Waimea house destroyed by fire

WAIMEA n An early morning fire yesterday completely destroyed a house located on Menehune Road across the Waimea swinging bridge.

No one was injured by the fire, states a county press release.

Damages to the 800-square-foot wooden home and its contents are estimated to be $80,000.

According to early reports, the fire started from an unattended candle burning on the second floor of the home. Allan and Roberta Bactad and their grandson were asleep inside when the blaze began at around 7 a.m., states the release. They were awakened by the fire and escaped unharmed.

Some 13 firefighters and rescue specialists from the Waimea, Hanapepe and Lihu‘e stations responded to the fire.

After depleting the water supply on the fire engine and brush truck, firefighters set up a floatation pump on the Waimea River and used the brush truck to draft water from the river in order to extinguish the fire.

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.