Governor Linda Lingle yesterday released a list of judicial nominees that were provided to her by the Judicial Selection Commission to fill a vacancy on the Circuit Court of the Fifth Circuit for Kaua‘i.
The vacant position was created by the retirement of Judge George Masuoka.
Lingle is making the list available to the public to encourage public comment on the candidates.
The list of six nominees was submitted to the Governor by the Judicial Selection Commission, which reviewed the background and qualifications of all applicants.
The Commission does not rank the candidates.
Nominees to fill the vacancy of Circuit Court Judge George Masuoka:
• Edmund D. Acoba n Current position: supervising deputy public defender. Prior experience: deputy prosecuting attorney.
• Alfred B. Castillo, Jr. n Current position: private practice attorney. Prior experience: first deputy prosecuting attorney; deputy prosecuting attorney; law clerk/intern, Prosecutor’s Office.
• Joe P. Moss n Current position: solo practice, Lihu‘e. Prior experience: partner with Jay Friedheim; attorney employed by Michael McCarthy; solo practice, Honolulu and Oklahoma.
• Calvin K. Murashige n Current position: judge, District Court of the Fifth Circuit. Prior experience: partner, Shiraishi & Murashige; partner, Shiraishi Yamada & Murashige; associate, Shiraishi & Yamada; deputy prosecuting attorney; law clerk, deputy attorney general’s office.
• Trudy K. Senda n Current position: judge, District Court of the Fifth Circuit. Prior experience: Law Offices of Randal Valenciano; Valenciano & Zenger; Law Office of Wayne D. Parsons; Ashford & Wriston.
• Randal G. B. Valenciano n Current position: private practice attorney. Prior experience: councilmember, County of Kaua‘i; partner, Valenciano & Zenger; deputy prosecuting attorney; deputy public defender.
The Governor has 30 days from receipt of the list (March 1, 2007) to make her selection.
Public comments on the nominees may be sent via e-mail to Governor.Lingle@hawaii.gov or by fax at 808-586-0006.
All comments should be submitted by the close of business on March 14.