James Mundon, 52, of Kapa‘a, was sentenced to up to 40 years yesterday for kidnapping and sexually assaulting a tourist in February 2004.
Mundon was convicted of first-degree terroristic threatening, first-degree sexual assault, second-degree attempted assault and third-degree assault.
A jury returned its “guilty” verdict in December after deliberating for a little more than one day.
The jury found Mundon “not guilty” of multiple other sexual assault charges.
Mundon kidnapped a tourist by taking her in his truck to a secluded area on Feb. 5, 2004, at Marine Camp in Lihu‘e.
He then told her to take off her clothes while holding a knife to her throat.
The woman had been on Kaua‘i for less than two days.
The victim, who was initially able to escape the truck, was tackled by Mundon to the ground, where the victim and Mundon fought over the knife. After being punched in the ribs, she again managed to run away to a nearby resort.
Mundon, who said he wanted to represent himself because the state public defender’s office did not fight for him when he was accused of similar crimes in the past, was told by Fifth Circuit Court Chief Judge George Masuoka that he could face more than 100 years in prison for all the charges he faced.
First Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Jennifer Winn prosecuted the case and requested a 51-year prison term based on Mundon’s violent past.
Judge Kathleen Watanabe sentenced him to a maximum 40 years in prison.
Mundon’s 40-year prison term will begin after he completes his prison term for his prior assault conviction.