The state Department of Land and Natural Resources will present statewide dam safety training seminars for dam owners on each of Hawai‘i’s four main islands starting Oct. 25.
The DLNR designed the seminars to benefit dam owners, lessees, facility managers and operators and maintenance personnel, as well as design engineers, planners and consultants and others involved in the design, construction, regulation and emergency response planning for dams and reservoirs.
The cost is $20, though owners and operators can attend for free and will be given priority for seating.
The Kaua‘i stop is the last of the four, at Kaua‘i Civil Defense’s Emergency Operating Center from Dec. 4-6.
Trainers from the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation will provide specific information and guidance on periodic inspection and evaluation of dams and emergency planning.
Sample training topics include:
• Various ways embankment dams typically fail;
• Recognizing symptoms and initial signs of a possible failure;
• How to conduct dam safety inspections;
• Assessing liability as a dam owner, operator, regulator or consultant;
• Identifying safe and unsafe practices on dams;
• Developing guidelines for emergency planning; testing an emergency action plan;
• The Dam Safety Program, both nationally and in Hawai‘i.
To register or see the agenda, contact Denise Manuel, at the DLNR Engineering Dam Safety Program at email@example.com
Registration deadline is one week prior to start of each session.