The amendments listed below represent the culmination of the Charter Commission’s work so far. The following list does not represent the final cut, but where the list stands as of the May 3 meeting.
1. Should there be a term limit for the Council?
2. Should there be districts for the Council?
3. Must a candidate be a resident of the District?
4. Can only residents in the district vote for the candidate seeking to represent the district?
6. Shall Council members be required to serve full time?
8. If Council members have a conflict of interest must they recuse themselves from debate and voting on a measure?
10. Shall all County public records be published on the County’s website?
11. Shall the Salary Commission recommendations for department heads and County Council members be effective unless vetoed by 5 members of the Council?
12. Shall there be an Office of Commissions and Boards administrator?
13. Shall all Boards and Commissions consist of a minimum of 7 members, excluding ex-officio members?
14. Shall all Boards and Commissions have staggered terms?
15. Shall all members of Boards and Commissions be appointed by the Mayor and approved by the Council?
16. Change name, responsibility and authority of the Cost Control Commission to Revenue and Cost Control Commission with necessary changes to authority of the Commission?
17. Shall a new Fire Commission be created with appropriate duties and responsibilities including the authority to hire and fire the Chief?
18. Shall the Charter Commission be a permanent Commission with 7 members serving staggered terms appointed by the Mayor and approved by the Council?
19. Shall there be a new Parks and Recreation Department?
20. Shall a licensing requirement for the County Engineer be removed?
21. Shall there be spending limits for the Kaua‘i County operating budget?
23. Shall signature requirements involving initiative and referendum be reduced from 20 percent to 5 percent?
24. Shall the number of the signatures requirement for recall be reduced from 20 percent to 5 percent? 25. Shall all material requirements for citizen-initiated petitions to be placed on the ballot be specified in the Charter?
26. Shall there be a County Manager form of government?
27. Shall the County Attorney be elected for a term of 4 years?
28. The provisions in Section 22.02 of the Charter specifying limits on the subjects for initiative and referendum petitions shall be repealed.
32. The duties of the Council and the Mayor should be stated.
33. Any sanctions issued by the Board of Ethics for violation of the Charter must be determined by a court after consideration of the evidence and in accordance with proceedings applicable to criminal trials.
40. Employees and officers of the State or County shall not be eligible to serve on any boards or commissions. (Article XXIII, Sec 23.02 Part i).
47. Shall the Planning Director be an elected position?