Kaua’i County Charter Commission informational meeting
Monday, 6:30 p.m.
Kilauea Neighborhood Center
• Presentation of the 27 proposed amendments to the Kaua’i County Charter being considered by members of the Kaua’i County Charter Commission;
• Discussion, public comment, testimony on proposed amendments, and suggestions for additional amendments
Kaua’i Workforce Investment Board Executive Committee meeting
Tuesday, 3 p.m.
Lihu’e Civic Center Mo’ikeha Building Liquor Control Commission conference room
• Healthcare industry tour;
• Relocation of WorkWise! offices;
• Small Business Expo April 18
Kaua’i County Charter Commission meeting
Wednesday, 4:30 p.m.
Lihu’e Civic Center Mo’ikeha Building first-floor conference room
• Report from Mel Nishihara, county Department of Public Works Parks Division parks administrator, on a proposed charter amendment to create a new county Department of Parks;
• Financial information from Michael Tresler, county Department of Finance director, on county operating budgets, employee raises, and total expenditure limitations; I Testimony from Bernard Carvalho, director of the county Offices of Community Assistance, on the OCA current structure, recommendations concerning proposed creation of a county Department of Community Assistance in the Kaua’i County Charter;
• Testimony from Walter Lewis concerning citizens’ rights under the Kaua’i County Charter;
• Testimony from Horace Stoessel discussing the June 2004 Salary Commission recommendations for three charter amendments;
• Discussion, deliberation and action by Charter Commission members regarding proposed charter amendments;
• Discussion of the Charter Commission’s budgetary needs for county fiscal year 2006-07
Kaua’i County Council committee meeting
Wednesday, 9 a.m.
Historic County Building council chambers
• Request by Councilwoman Shaylene Iseri-Carvalho, chair of the council Community Assistance Committee, for Bernard Carvalho, director of the county Offices of Community Assistance, and Thomas Oi, state Department of Land and Natural Resources Kaua’i land agent, to be present to give an update on progress being made toward having state lands provided to county leaders through executive order for the purposes of developing affordable housing;
• Communication from an official in the county Department of Public Works Building Division, request ing council-member approval to expend $1 million in bond funds for planning, design, and construction of a new maintenance building at Wailua Golf Course;
• Request from Council Chair Bill “Kaipo” Asing that a representative of Mayor Bryan J. Baptiste’s administration be present to discuss a proposed Port Alien regional park;
• Discussion on a bill relating to an earlier requirement for owners of Kaua’i Village shopping center in Waipouli to construct a pedestrian bridge across a canal between Kaua’i Village and Waipouli Town Center;
• Various executive-session items regarding various lawsuits involving officials of the County of Kaua’i, including Clayton Arinaga v. County of Kaua’i, et al. King C. Lum v. Kaua’i County Council, et al., and County of Kauai, by its County Attorney Lani D.H. Nakazawa, Plaintiffs-Appellees v. Bryan J. Baptiste, Mayor, County of Kaua’i, etal.
Kaua’i Liquor Control Commission meeting
Thursday, 4 p.m.
Kaua’i Liquor Control Commission conference room
• Disturbance reports from Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa, Rob’s Good Times Grill, and Surf’s (two);
• Violation report, Pizzetta, alteration of premises;
• Cancellation of brewpub license, Whalers Brewpub