Tax filers can help schools

Hawai‘i tax filers can provide additional support for public-schools facilities and the public libraries by using state income-tax returns to make voluntary contributions, states a press release from the state tax collector’s office.

On state tax forms N-11, N-12, N-13, and N-15 under “Contributions,” filers can elect to donate to the Hawaii Schools Repairs and Maintenance Fund and/or the Hawaii Public Libraries Fund.

For each item, the filer can contribute $2 for “Yourself” and, on joint returns, another $2 for “Spouse.” The designated contributions will either be subtracted from the amount to be refunded, or added to the amount owed. Filers who don’t prepare their own returns are encouraged to tell their tax preparers to check off the desired boxes. The public libraries fund first appeared on the 2004 tax return and raised $92,200. State tax returns for 2005 are due April 20.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.