• Family “My mom lives here, and I have family on Maui. I have nephews Shane and Chase, and a niece, Chelsea.”
• Occupation Office manager for a chiropractic company
• Hobbies “I like raising orchids. I’m in an orchid club. I also like to go surfing in the summer. The waves get too big in the winter time, so I like the summer.”
• What do you like most about The Garden Island? “It’s small and it’s short. It doesn’t have to be real huge. It’s got all the pertinent things in it, and is distilling it on the island. I look to (The Garden Island) for those things. I like where it shows all the little island pictures.
I think that’s cute.”
• What do you like most about living on Kaua‘i? “I think the lifeguards are real cute. I was on the beach and one rode by on his ATV and gave me a big smile, and that was nice. The people here are nice like that. You know how sometimes you’re feeling down and someone will smile at you and make things nice? I like the diversity of the people. And I like eating saimin at Hamura’s in Lihu‘e.”
• If you could change one thing about life on Kaua‘i, what would it be? “The island’s different now from when I was growing up. The rate of growth is getting crazy. (The county leadership) has a lot of good ideas, but I don’t know how they’re going to do them. The island is really old, and the people here are real laid back. That doesn’t just change overnight.”
To be considered for inclusion in Kama‘aina Voices, please contact Lanaly Cabalo, lifestyle writer, at 245-3681 (ext. 237), or email@example.com.