Friday, May 20, 2022 |
Share this story
Kauai Humane Society will accept pets for emergency sheltering in the event of a disaster if the following requirements are met:
– Individual carrier or crate for each pet and labeled with owner and pet information. The carrier or crate should be large enough so your pet can stand up, turn around, and lie down comfortably when inside. For a cat or pocket pet (rabbit, guinea pig, etc.), the carrier or crate should be large enough to hold a small litter box as well. Take time to familiarize your pet with the carrier. Animals will not be housed together. When stressed, animals that normally get along may become aggressive towards each other.
– The pet must be current on vaccinations and presented with a veterinary health record documenting the status of vaccinations. We prefer your pets be flea and tick free as well.
– The pet must be wearing some form of identification: dog license, i.d. tag, microchip, collar with pet owner information, etc. For birds and small pocket pets, labeling the carrier will suffice.
– Each carrier or crate must have non-spill food and water bowls attached to the door or easily accessible from outside.
– 5-day supply of pet food, litter (for cats and pocket pets), and any special medications with written instructions for dose and frequency.
– Familiar items to make pet feel comfortable (favorite toys, treats, blankets, etc.)
– Leash and collar for dogs, litter box for cats and pocket pets, and a secured perch in the cage/carrier for birds. Newspaper, plastic bags, and paper towels will also be helpful.
Kaua’i Humane Society trained staff and volunteers will be caring for the pets during emergency sheltering. Pet owners will not be allowed in the pet holding areas. Only small animal swill be allowed (horses or other livestock will not be admitted).
Prepare now for emergency evacuation of your pets. Develop a plan and make sure all your supplies are readily available and in good repair. Always make sure you have at least a one-week supply of pet food and supplies on hand during hurricane season.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
By participating in online discussions you
acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful
discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments
are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines,
send us an email.