Friday, May 27, 2022 |
Share this story
At least four employees at the Wal Mart store in Lihu’e were treated at Wilcox Hospital after they were overcome by fumes from a cleaning fluid a maintenance worker was using at the Lihu’e store Thursday afternoon.
The accumulation of fumes forced the evacuation of the store by customers and staff.
The condition of those who were medically treated was not immediately known.
According to county officials, the employee was cleaning a drain in a receiving area in the back of the store before 1 a.m.
Twelve firefighters from Lihu’e and Kalaheo and two firefighters from the Fire Department’s Prevention Bureau were summoned to the scene, and, while people were being evacuated, they used special equipment to ventilate the affected areas.
The store was reopened at about 2 p.m.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
By participating in online discussions you
acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful
discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments
are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines,
send us an email.