HHSAA amends tournament dates
Strike forces sports’ governing body to act
The Hawai’i High School Athletic Association announced a series of revisions Wednesday concerning the spring state tournament schedules.
Due to the ongoing public school teachers’ strike, the HHSAA Executive Board has unanimously approved the following modifications:
– Carlsmith Ball State Tennis Championships — Changed from May 10-12 to May 17-19 at the Kiahuna and Poipu Kai Tennis Clubs
– David S. Ishii Foundation Girls State Golf Championships — Changed from May 10-11 to May 15-16 at The Dunes at Maui Lani Golf Course
– Island Movers State Track and Field Championships — Changed from May 11-13 to May 18-19 at Maui’s War Memorial Stadium
– Hawaiian Airlines Girls State Basketball Championships — Changed from May 15-18 to May 22-25 at site to be determined
– Wally Yonamine Foundation State Baseball Championships — Changed from May 16-19 to May 22-25 at Aloha Stadium
– David S. Ishii Foundation Boys State Golf Championships — May 10-11 at Kapalua Bay Golf Course (only state tournament whose dates were not altered)
HHSAA Executive Director Keith Amemiya said that the governing body has not yet set a drop-dead date for cancelling state tournaments.
“We are operating on the presumption that the strike will end next week,” Amemiya said. “If that is not the case, then we will have to revise the revised schedule.
“We would think that these dates will hold if the strike ends next week. If it continues beyond next week, then we will have to look at possibly cancelling state tournaments.”
Sports editor Jason Gallic at 245-3681 or mailto:email@example.com