* Jan 26, 1995. Andrew Dunson, Ohio. Hanakapi’ai Beach. Pounded by heavy surf
as he tried to climb onto rocks. Body not recovered.
* March 9, 1995. Steve
Alfonzo, Decatur, Ga. Kalalau Beach. Swept out to sea. Body not
* May 3, 1995. Eugene T. Jones, 59, Martinez, Calif. Koloa
Landing. Snorkeled from boat off Po’ipu.
* July 8, 1995. DeAngelo Yoshio
Sprewell, 14, Kapa’a. Loop Road, Kuamo’o Road in Wailua. Tried to rescue
brother, but got into trouble.
* July 29, 1995. John Seidenschwang, 58,
Garden City, New York. Marine Camp, Wailua. Walked along beach, was knocked
down and swept out to sea.
* Sept. 24, 1995. Joann McCarthy, 37, Running
Spring, Calif. Hanakapi’ai Beach. Swam with family and was pulled into water
by strong currents.
* Sept. 25, 1995. Swat Vahista, 45, Canada. Marine
Camp, Wailua. Swam with companion.
* Nov. 18, 1995. Jordan David Hoffman,
25, Berkeley, Calif. Hanakapi’ai Beach. Got caught in strong currents while
* Dec. 24, 1995. John McCullough, 40, Kansas City, Mo. Polihale
Beach. Swam beyond surf and got caught in strong currents.
* Jan. 6, 1996.
Harry Grabowski, 62, Heilbronn, Germany. Polihale Beach. Swam and body was
washed up on shore. Avid swimmer and cyclist.
* March 17, 1996. Harvey P.
Alisa, 37, La’ie, O’ahu. Kaumakani Camp. Scuba dived with friends and was
found1/2 mile offshore.
* April 9, 1996. Egbertuwehubert Fleischauer, 36,
Bonn, Germany. Lumaha’i Beach. Swam with tour group and struggled to get back
* June 19, 1996. Clayton Ford, 59, Kansas City, Mo. Na Pali
Coast. Snorkeled with tour group and drifted away.
* Aug. 17, 1996.
Albaro Castellano, 24, Los Angeles, Calif. Kealia Beach. Swam with companion
and was swept out to sea. Died Aug. 28, 1996.
* Sept. 29, 1996. Martin
Scott Dumes, 36, Tucson, Ariz. Hanakapi’ai Beach. Tried to pick up empty bottle
in waist-deep water to keep beach clean and was swept out to sea.
30, 1996. Justin A. Leir, 35, of Kapa’a. Wailua Beach. Although not a good
swimmer, he went into the water.
* Jan. 13, 1997. Oren Nagasako, 25,
Honolulu. Blue Hole, Ha’ena Wet Cave. Swam with friends and failed to
* March 15, 1997. Eric Myers, 28, San Francisco. Kilauea Rock
Quarry. Swam and snorkeled with friends and disappeared from sight of friends.
* March 29, 1997. Shannon Smith, 20, Wailua. Waipahe’e Slippery Slide,
Anahola. Saved a 5-year-old child, but drowned.
* May 3, 1997. Richard
Carl Sinopoli, 40, Woodland, Calif. Queen’s Pond, Polihale. Got caught in
current while swimming with family. Rescue attempts by family failed.
21, 1997. Steven Chegwidden, 35, Dallas, Texas. Hanakapi’ai Beach. Swam in
waist deep water and struggled to swim to shore.
* June 19, 1997. Glenn
Walter Crepps, 40, San Jose, Calif. Larsen’s Beach, Moloa’a. Snorkeled in bad
* Aug. 1, 1997. Mary Jane Mackenzie, 60, Auckland Beach,
New Zealand. Po’ipu. Scuba diving with tour group and was struck repeatedly by
large waves while trying to return to dive boat.
* Aug. 15, 1997. Ralph
Wayne Davis, 37, San Francisco, Calif. Kalihiwai Beach. Attempted to perform a
rescue but failed.
* Sept. 3, 1997. Frank A. Nisbet, 49, Kapa’a. Kilauea
Rock Quarry. Swam in river while intoxicated.
* Oct. 21, 1997. David Lee
Yundt Sr., 59, Greenville, Ohio. Polihale Beach Park. Waded in knee-deep water
with family, was knocked down and was caught in undertow.
* Jan. 18, 1998.
William Castillo, 58, Waimea. Ahukini, Lihu’e. Dove with friends and appeared
to be in distress after he surfaced.
* April 10, 1998. Marlon Batangan, 18,
‘Ele’ele. Loop Road in Wailua. Crossed river with girlfriend in deep, strong
flowing water and drowned.
* July 28, 1998. Daniel Carns, 20, Rector, Penn.
Kaua’i Beach Villas oceanfront. Surfed with friends, got hit by a large wave
and was pulled down by the undertow. Body was found the next day.
28, 1998. David Allison, 44, San Francisco. Hideaway Cove, Princeville.
Reported missing by friends. Body was found one-to-two miles south of
* Jan. 4, 1999. Raymond Montero, 38, Kilauea. Queen’s Bath,
Princeville. Picked ‘opihi with friends and got caught in currents.
2, 1999. Gordon Charles Jones, 86, Petaluma, Calif. Po’ipu Beach Park. Swam
with wife and got in trouble.
* April 12, 1999. Alan Dale Moss, 31,
Battleground, Wash. ‘Anini Beach. Swam 200 yards from shore, panicked and
* May 10, 1999. Sam Kolo, 69, Lihu’e. Nawiliwili Harbor.
Capsized in boat, swam to shore, hit by a large wave and was thrown back into
* May 24, 1999. Harold Rivera, 32, Hoffman Estates Ill. Kealia
Beach. Swam with family and got caught in current.
* Aug. 17, 1999.
Serafine Paul Duterte, 49, Hanama’ulu. Ahukini & Ninini Point, Nawiliwili.
Went fishing in a boat and failed to return home. Boat was located at Ninini
Point and body was found on Aug. 18.
* Aug. 28, 1999. Michael Patrick
Harrison, 45, Kapa’a. Kukui’ula Boat Harbor. Dove with brother while using air
tanks. Started bouncing and grasping for air.
* Oct. 19, 1999. Gene Reysz,
59, Newberg, Ind. Ke’e Beach, Ha’ena. Disappeared while walking on the reef.
Witness swam out to reef and found body floating on the surface.
* Oct. 23,
1999. Kevin McLaughlin, 29, Hanalei. Hanalei Bay. Body floating about five feet
* Oct. 24, 1999. Jay E. Bovilsky, 55, New Haven, Conn.
Hanakapi’ai Beach. Walked along the beach, was knocked down by waves and was
swept out to sea.
* Nov. 16, 1999. Aurelia Frank, 59, New York, N.Y.
Hanakapi’ai Beach. Swam with husband and friends, hit by a large swell and was
taken under the water.
* Dec. 2, 1999. Larry Graffius, 45, Bridgetown, N.J.
Larsen’s Beach, Moloa’a. Snorkeled alone in rough water.
* Jan. 13, 2000.
Yoshio Takekuma, 75, Numila Camp, Numila. Went fishing and was found floating
* Feb. 25, 2000. Taeko Miyazaki, 65, Japan. Kalapaki Bay. Went
snorkeling and was found unconscious and floating in the water by her
* March 23, 2000. Jeffrey Raymond Knight, 35, Burbank, Calif.
Polihale Beach Park. While 75 yards off shore, he waved to friends sitting on
the beach. Later was pulled from water and unsuccessful efforts were made to
* April 7, 2000. John Tilton, 66, Roseville, Calif. Beach
fronting Sheraton Kaua’i Hotel in Po’ipu. Went swimming and was found floating
face down four to five yards from shore. Earlier, he told his wife he wasn’t
* April 17, 2000. Harold Rice, Midway, UT. Lumaha’i Beach.
Went swimming and was brought back to shore. Died at Wilcox Hospital due to
May 25, 2000. John Telfer, 44, San Jose, Calif. Ke’e Beach.
Died while rescuing his wife when they were snorkling.