Born in Minnesota and educated at Pomona College, California, Hawaii bank executive Edward Joesting (1925-1986) was the author of the book “Kauai: The Separate Kingdom,” published in 1984 – a history of Kauai encompassing the time of pre-Western contact through to the end of the Hawaiian Monarchy in 1893.
When the first hippies arrived on Kauai in 1967 from the Mainland United States, they went to Kalalau Valley, but left a short time later, 15 men and women in all, after being warned by Warren Robinson of Gay & Robinson that they were trespassing on 780 acres of private property under permit to his father, Selwyn Robinson.
During World War II, sugar planter, rancher and politician Charles Atwood Rice (1876-1964) — the grandson of Kauai missionaries William Harrison and Mary Sophia Hyde Rice, and the son of William Hyde Rice, the governor of Kauai under Queen Liliuokalani — entertained numerous military personnel on Kauai at his Kipu Ranch, now the private property of Wm. Hyde Rice, Ltd.
In 1973, Miss Mabel Wilcox, the niece of Grove Farm Plantation founder George Norton Wilcox, decided to restore four old, broken-down sugar plantation locomotives stored in a Grove Farm warehouse at Puhi, and then use them to take visitors for rides at a plantation museum she planned to establish at her Grove Farm homestead in Lihue.
In her book, “Personal Recollections of Growing up on Kauai, Hawaii in the 1950s and 1960s,” my wife, Ginger (Beralas) Soboleski, wrote about a special train ride she took one Sunday morning in 1955 with her father, Lihue Plantation employee Al Beralas, when she was 6 years old, residing in Lihue Camp A and attending the old Lihue Grammar School in Pua Loke.
In 1930, at a cost of about $18,000, Albert Horner Jr., the manager of Hawaiian Canneries Co. of Kapaa, built a two-story, 14-room frame mansion, designed by Honolulu architect Ralph A. Fishbourne, at Waipouli, on property where the Lae Nani condominiums are now situated.
Born and educated in England, Frank S. Pugh (1886-1949) arrived on Kauai in 1921 to become the industrial supervisor of Kauai schools, and in 1923 was appointed principal of Kalaheo School, where he was largely responsible for the construction of a manual training shop in that same year.
Cedric Baldwin (1901-1945), the manager of McBryde Sugar Co. from 1938 to 1942 and an avid deep-sea fisherman, was the inventor, in 1941, of a unique, small-boat drydock.