Hawaii gives up Trump administration travel ban legal fight

HONOLULU — Hawaii is dropping its legal fight against President Donald Trump’s travel ban on citizens from several mostly Muslim countries after the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the policy.

The state attorney general’s office voluntarily dismissed the case Monday.

Lt. Gov. Doug Chin sued to stop the travel ban from taking effect when he was attorney general last year.

Current Attorney General Russell Suzuki says while the state is disappointed in the Supreme Court’s decision, Hawaii’s fight pushed the administration to scale back its efforts.

Suzuki spokeswoman Dana Viola says the department weighed options, evaluated litigation rights and decided dropping the case was in the state’s best interest.

1 Comments
  1. harry oyama August 14, 2018 8:16 pm Reply

    Doug Chin the politician like he is just used and abused taxpayer’s time and money against Trump’s travel ban for its politicial coverage in order to sway the voters for his run for Congress and got trounced by Ed Case!

    Just like Keith Kaneshiro, another incompetent politician who also wasted $thousands of taxpayer’s money in dismissed cases concerning busts of massage parlor workers. Both should be made to re-imburse taxpayers for their incompetence.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.