Letters for Monday, August 6, 2018

Cesspools are everyone’s problem

I have been following with interest your reporting about the 88,000 cesspools that can presently be found on Hawaii. What a shock, cesspools in this day and age!

Heavy rains can cause cesspools to overflow, and as the saying goes, “crap flows downhill.” Downhill to Hawaii’s beaches.

Think about that the next time you walk barefoot on the sand. Think about that the next time you swim in the ocean.

I recently asked Councilman Ross Kagawa about this problem. His reply, “Cesspools are a state issue, not County Council, please get your facts straight before you complain. You’re barking up the wrong tree.”

I interpreted his reply to mean, “Not my department. Don’t bother me.” Tell that to the bacteria on my bare feet!

This is 2018, not 1918. It’s everybody’s problem. Food for thought when you go to the polls.

Raley Peterson, Waimea

Mel Rapozo for mayor

I first met Mel Rapozo at the re-dedication of Boy Scouts of America Camp Alan Fayé in March 2004. The presentation of the re-dedication included the Top Scout of all of the USA. Mel and I had a good chance to discuss his background and future in Kauai politics. We agreed on the importance of Scouting for our Kauai youth.

We had a chance to wala au!

In December 2009, my wife and I were “scammed, to the tune of $4,000 cash.” I recalled that Mel had mentioned that he had been in business as a private investigator in criminal cases. I called him. He invited me into his very busy County Council chair’s office.

Right off the bat, I knew I had come to the right place. Mel was no longer in the PI business, but had the investigative background. Mel took the time to discuss and demonstrate credit card scams, which was our situation. Mel gave me his private phone number and email address. We continued dialogue over time, and he brought in Kauai County police investigators. From then on, we were on the road to find the culprits in California.

As mayor, Mel would support all of our individual Kauai citizens, as he did for us. That was just one small sample of the caliber he is and best as our future mayor.

Susie and Alan Fayé, Princeville

1. I saw a Vampire once August 6, 2018 12:12 am Reply

Raley? How old are you? Do you go to the beach a lot? Outdoor activities. Waimea heh…

2. Steve Martin August 6, 2018 8:04 am Reply

Raley you should have known that Ross Kagawa is nothing more than a prejudice rude nasty council member that should have removed from the council a long time ago. When the elections are over hopefully we have seen and heard enough from his mouth.

3. Mark Beeksma August 6, 2018 9:05 am Reply

A well-designed, sealed cesspool can do the same thing that a septic system does. It will not overflow in the rain. It holds the solids and lets the liquid soak into the soil. A cesspool can do a better job in the right circumstances, because it can be much larger in volume.

It would be simple-minded and ignorant to ban all cesspools.

4. justmyopinion August 6, 2018 9:06 am Reply

Cesspools.. food for thought.
    How is a septic system any different than a cesspool?
    When it rains heavily, all the contaminants from the leach field come to the surface and flow downhill along with the rest of the crap. And that likely happens before, and easier than a cesspool overflowing.
    Here’s more “food for thought”… why didn’t the County continue building sewer systems throughout the whole island? Why did only some areas get sewer systems?

5. manongindashadow August 6, 2018 9:07 am Reply

Good timing Mr. Faye’, “it’s an election year!” I have to doubt your stamen that, “Mel would support all our Kauai Citizens.” (don’t be so sure!)

6. lumahai tim August 6, 2018 9:21 am Reply

Hi Raley: Cesspools were the choice for many years here. Where we were my parents spent lots of money converting the cesspool to a septic system with a leech field……at the governments urging. Then years later the county sewage system came near us and they wanted my parents to pay a lot of money to run the line to our house, money that many in our part of kauaii simply couldnt afford. It’s only been the last five years or so that some state funding appeared to help people connect to the sewage system. Even with that help many rural folks just dont have the bucks, so they limp along with what they have.

7. Kauairosina August 6, 2018 9:56 am Reply

I’ll take your food for thought. What a snotty response. Where’s the aloha Ross?

8. hutch August 6, 2018 10:09 am Reply

A vote for Ross Kagawa is a vote for self-serving, do-nothing politicians everywhere. His recent initiative to lift term limits for council members is a case in point. Plus, he’s made some very provocative racial comments directed at Caucasians which were most offensive. ABK: Anyone But Kagawa.

9. George August 6, 2018 10:52 am Reply

I dont know which is worse, Kagawa’s ignorance or arrogance.

10. Amused August 6, 2018 1:08 pm Reply

Ross was right. So why the dog pile just because Raley got his nose out of joint?

11. hutch August 6, 2018 9:07 pm Reply

Amused: because Kagawa is arrogant.

12. Honey Charles August 7, 2018 1:43 am Reply

Ross gave the absolutely correct response. The county has absolutely no jurisdiction over cesspools, it is a DOH issue. Kauai residents are not getting information correct and they continually focus on the county to resolve state problems. As an avid council watcher,many testimonies and questions are useless because it is within state jurisdiction only. What dummy doesnt know that the cesspools are a state issue? Just like GMO, it all falls on the state but few Kauai residents take their concerns to the right place. The council gets loads of dummy questions.

13. John Zwiebel August 7, 2018 5:52 am Reply

Which is worse. A well-functioning septic system or the sewage treatment plan at Lydgate?

14. Sue August 8, 2018 8:23 am Reply

Both Mel and Ross are not good choices. They are self serving in different ways. Long term politicos now. I don’t trust people who stay in politics for very long. They enjoy the power too much.