In 1899, Eleele Plantation, the McBryde Estate and the Koloa Agricultural Company merged to create McBryde Sugar Co., which ground its first crop of sugarcane at the Eleele Plantation mill, located in the vicinity of today’s Eleele School.
Then in 1901, McBryde purchased its own mill — a mill originally destined for Molokai’s American Sugar Co. — to replace the smaller Eleele mill, and erected it on the flat plain halfway between the Wahiawa and Kalaheo gulches.
This was a new mill in relation to the older Eleele mill, and the plantation camp established next to it became known as New Mill, or Numila in Hawaiian, accordingly.
Seventy-three years later, in 1974, McBryde shut down its mill at Numila in favor of utilizing the Grove Farm Koloa mill it had leased from Grove Farm after Grove Farm ended its sugar operations in 1973.
Today, Kauai Coffee’s factory stands at Numila by the site where the McBryde Sugar mill once stood.
McBryde chose Grove Farm’s Koloa mill over its mill at Numila since it was better equipped to handle the increase in sugar acreage from 6,000 to 13,200 acres McBryde had obtained by also acquiring leases in 1973 to 7,200 acres of Grove Farm and Knudsen cane lands.
Furthermore, the Koloa Mill was more centrally located within McBryde’s sugar lands.
When McBryde terminated operations in 1996, the Koloa mill was shut down.
Also of note is the McBryde sugar mill smokestack, which for decades was a landmark used as a sighting point for vessels at sea.
The smokestack was 249 feet tall and was constructed of reinforced concrete in 1928 by the Webber Chimney Co. at a cost of $3,200.
By 1991, it hadn’t been in use since 1974 and its structure had weakened to the point that McBryde made the decision to hire the Mainland firm of Custodis-Cottrell to demolish it.
Contract workers made fast work of the upper 150 feet of the smokestack with jackhammers, but the thick concrete and heavy reinforcing iron of the lower 99 feet proved to be a difficult task.