Let’s get help for angel at bus stop

• James ’ Kimo’ Rosen / Contributed photo

El Aina DaNine sits at a bus stop in Kapaa, where she has lived for the past year.

My angel at the bus stop fronting the Kapaa Neighborhood Center was arrested last Thursday, Nov. 2, for open lewdness for being exposed while cleansing her body under a tarp that had blown away. El Aina has lived at that bus stop the last 11 months.

She eats there, bathes there and discreetly performs her bodily functions there. After being arrested a water truck was there spraying and disinfecting the area at county expense.

I was happy for my friend after she was arrested I finally thought she would get the help she so desperately needs — however, now she is back at the bus stop after the minimum 48-hour incarceration period.

El Aina was sent to the hospital and medical professionals found nothing wrong with her besides diarrhea.

You can physically look at my friend and see her legs and feet are inflated like balloons, four to five times their normal size. She cannot even walk across the street to the Chinese restaurant on her own since her legs are in such pain.

Plus, anyone living at a bus stop needs help, in my opinion. This does not take a medical degree to diagnose her. These doctors should have their licenses revoked as far as I’m concerned. The judge released her without prejudice.

Political correctness will not improve the situation for this lovely angel.

If every homeless person decided to take residence at a bus stop, what would happen? Would the county still do nothing and say their hands are tied? That’s what they say when you call and talk with them.

I also guarantee that an attorney could find a technicality in the law to get her off the street and find her the help she so desperately needs. An attorney could probably also pursue a case against the County of Kauai should something happen to El Aina while occupying county property.

I rest my case.

James ‘Kimo’ Rosen is a resident of Kapaa.

1. Carrie lavigne November 10, 2017 5:10 am Reply

carrielavigne@sbcglobal.net
    Very good point Kimo. While I lived in Kauai, it seemed like nothing was ever done for the people. Typical bureaucratic BS with the people in charge. It made me sick.

2. Carla Hart November 10, 2017 9:08 am Reply

Thank you for writing this letter and bringing public attention to this matter. Everyone in Kapaa has become aware of this woman and many people offer her food and what they can to help her. I’m shocked police would arrest her. What about their oath to “protect and serve”? We are here to love one another and to help everyone in need without judging them or their circumstances at all. Her legs and feet are very swollen. She has minimal belongings, clothes, blankets, etc. And she loves purple. God Bless El Aina and all the caring people who offer her help, food, companionship and love.

3. Bob Wilson November 10, 2017 11:17 am Reply

I am shocked and ashamed that our officers would arrest her. God knows it must be more than difficult to shelter in a bus stop. Love and compassion are what is needed here. I will continue to help support her. Does anyone know of any housing that might be available for her?

1. Charles chim November 11, 2017 6:40 am Reply

Does anyone know of any housing that might be available for…anyone?

We hear Detroit is opening up…!

4. John Zwiebel November 10, 2017 2:08 pm Reply

If you wanted help for people who aren’t already rich, perhaps you shouldn’t have voted for Trump. Not saying that a vote for Hillary would have made enough of a difference.

5. sharon tomas November 10, 2017 7:37 pm Reply

I am personally aware of many outreach workers from multiple agencies offering assistence and services that included housing and medical care. She has consistently refused all of them. I wish I had a picture of her occupying the bus stop so completely during the last big rain storm that bus riders were forced to stand outside the shelter in the rain. This angel is a con woman and a health hazard and needs to be living elsewhere.

6. Carrie lavigne November 11, 2017 6:42 am Reply

carebear821@ ymail.com
    John Zwiebel.Un called for to bring POTUS into the debate, like he is directly responsible for this woman’s situation. Shame on u 4 making this a political issue and spreading hate.

7. Charles Chim November 11, 2017 6:58 am Reply

Seems she’s mistaken the Bus Stop for the YWCA…! Toilet? Shower?

People feeding her, like she’s feeding the chickens. Heh?

She spends a lifetime somewhere else; shows up on Kauai after not contributing one thin dime, and takes over one of the more busier
    Bus Stops? That’s a little arrogant!

Maybe she should go back to that somewhere where her kinfolk are to take care of her. The Bus Stop stinks of UNsanitary chicken coop!

8. Deborah E Kaiu November 12, 2017 12:49 pm Reply

1. She is occupying the bus stop illegally.
    2. She’s a grown woman who knows right from wrong.
    3. 11 months at the bus stop that’s a crime in it self.
    4. Bathing at a bust stop.
    5. She has financial assistance and goes shopping. This means she’s capable.
    6. She refuses help yet you want us to help her. KEO has a shelter that she has been to. KEO has a fund to send her home.
    7. People helping her has a home take her with them.
    8. The homeless in Lihue should take action on how she can occupy the bus over night and all day and they can’t.
    9. Respect for riders who pay to occupy that bench to ride the bus.
    10. She needs to be removed permanently from the bus stop.
    11. She’s an eyesore and it upsets many.

9. Momi November 13, 2017 10:06 am Reply

greeneohana@aol.com
    Back in my youth at Punalu’u, O’ahu if this woman was in Kapa’a or O’ahu it doesn’t matter which Island either a Family would have taken her Jome or Human Services would Got her Out this Misery of living on the Street.
    I’m SHAME !!!

1. Mary November 17, 2017 3:15 pm Reply

I agree. No more aloha.

10. David Gardener November 13, 2017 10:55 am Reply

Sharon Tomas,

From my research of asking around to business people in the immediate vicinity of the bus shelter I concur with you that El Aina has refused all institutional help but as far as her being a con woman is concerned that seems going a bit far to me.

While several commenters here have noted her physical afflictions, the elephant in the room that has not yet been uttered aloud is that someone in her position refusing assistance is someone who is suffering mentally as well as physically and to call her disparaging names is quite a harsh response.

While I don’t have a solution to her problems, what amounts to “kicking her while she’s down and cannot get up” is no help either.

I think we both agree that she needs to be living somewhere else but she needs compassionate care, not ridicule and contempt.

11. JOSHUA ELLAMAR November 13, 2017 12:37 pm Reply

Funny how homelessness only seems to bother the masses when its in the public eye #outofsightoutofmind

12. Norm Smith November 17, 2017 6:17 pm Reply

The Bird in the Coal Mine

13. Harold Siegwart November 17, 2017 10:49 pm Reply

This is a Sad waste of a human Life . The woman is Clearly Mentally ILL and , Needs help this is not normal behavior ! We have a huge problem on Kauai With the Homeless living in the bushes all over the island ,and in our parks , KEO can only help those who are willing to be helped ,At this point I believe the law should be enforced , remove her from that location and drop here in the hands of social services or mental health ,I met a woman who lived on Kauai for over 35 years and arrested over 30 times she was in the news many times after jail and mental review she was found to be Crazy to the point where she gets SSI now . I believe she is getting like $900. a month and now is living a somewhat stable life because she has a roof over her head and food and she has meds to help with her ILLness . So yes she needs to enter the system and the police need to enforce the law . There is still room for Aloha Here . It is hard love sometimes that works . KPD please do your part in policing these public places . IN San Diego they have a huge problem now with Hepatitis A Over 500 reported cases ,because of the homeless leaving the waste behind in public areas . We do need more affordable housing . Trouble is you put too many unstable people in one place can cause trouble to and degrade a area . I do want to give a big thanks to KEO they offer help, they hand out soap and basic things . And they point people toward the programs that can help people . I fear this is only a bandaid on a much deeper rooted problem Like ICE and the lack of probation handed out for drug use. In my book It takes a life changing event for people to change be it the hand of the laws saying no more or salvation and a transformed life . There has to be a starting point leaving her on that bench is just criminal………

14. Steve Martin November 18, 2017 11:11 pm Reply

More on the story Kimo.. I would say most of comments shows she shouldn’t be here period. Why is she here? Why would anyone in their right of mind ,fly to this island and park your okole on a bus bench for the last 11 months and then to top it off declines on any help from anyone. What do you suppose gives here Kimo? I don’t see any good reason for any of this to be happening for all involved.

15. Angel November 19, 2017 9:32 am Reply

Bless those who have helped her but if she has refused, there’s nothing more one can do. You can’t force her to do anything. She is entitled to refuse either if she is in her right mind or not. Every person has a choice to become homeless or because of situations or due to bad choices. I met a family who decided to be homeless instead of being with other family who has a home, for reasons which is understandable and getting help. My family have been there, where sometimes staying with family is not going to work and you think they are helping. Some homeless do have jobs but rent is horrendous here!! People need to work 2-3 jobs to be able to pay rent. Living homeless frees them from paying huge rent or they can’t afford it. Agencies have guidelines to be able to provide help and not everyone may qualify.

16. Alex Mazzola November 22, 2017 5:44 pm Reply

I know her and she is the sweetest lady. She has shared with me that she was poisoned repeatedly during youth. She is a big believer in Jesus and shared with me that she is awaiting further instructions from Jesus. Perhaps he Shall work through a caring collective of people.