• 30 to 40 million adults in the US have basic reading and writing problems.
• In Hawaii, one in six adults have problems in reading and writing, including nearly 5,600 adults on Kauai.
• 75 percent of unemployed adults have reading and writing difficulties
• Adult illiteracy costs US taxpayers more than $225 billion each year in lost industrial productivity, poverty, crime and other social ills.
• People may be illiterate for many reasons, includign their family’s economic sitution, they are foreign vborn, or their learning style is incompatible with how material was presentedin school.
Students in Hawaii Literacy receive:
• Confiential, one-on-one free tutoring with a nationally certified adult tutor.
• Scheduled sessions to fit the students needs.
• Materials are selected to meet the particular learning ability of each student.
• No mandatory completion dates. Student can learn on an ongoing basis.