Anahola fire causes $400K in damages

A fire that broke out early Monday morning in Anahola left a family of three and a third man homeless. 

Firefighters from Lihue, Kapaa and the Kaiakea station were dispatched to 4223 Anahola Road at 4:50 a.m and arrived to find the home fully engulfed in flames. 

Jesse Fergersterom, who has lived in the house for one year with his fiance, said the fire lit up the house in five minutes and it didn’t take much for it to spread. 

Firefighters could only watch as the flames ripped through the house, he said. 

The one-story home consisted of a three-bedroom apartment and a studio which was connected by a carport, where the fire appears to have started, said county spokeswomen Sarah Blane. 

Fergersterom said he and his fiancé were preparing to get ready to catch a flight to Oahu when she smelled smoke coming from the carport. 

The man living in the studio was not home at the time. 

Fire inspectors estimate the fire caused roughly $400,000 in damages to the structure and its contents, including the tenants’ vehicles and all of their personal belongings, Blane said. 

Kauai Fire Captain Daryl Date said although he can’t make a determination, he can pinpoint that the fire started near the back of the carport and was accidental. 

A gofundme page set up for the family had raised more than $6000 in less than five hours. 

0 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By participating in online discussions you acknowledge that you have agreed to the TERMS OF SERVICE. An insightful discussion of ideas and viewpoints is encouraged, but comments must be civil and in good taste, with no personal attacks. If your comments are inappropriate, you may be banned from posting. To report comments that you believe do not follow our guidelines, send us an email.